par Jean-Louis Vial

Origin and history

Created in 1674 or 1675 from Companies Franches (ligth troops) and Compagnies Liègeoises, this regiment became property of the powerful House of Harcourt in 1728.
At the head of this regiment there were successively: Louis Claude, count of Harcourt in 1728, then François Henri of Harcourt, count of Lillebonne in 1743 then Anne François of Harcourt of Lillebonne, marquis of Beuvron in 1748. This regiment was acquired on 4 May 1758 by Emmanuel François of Grossoles, knight of Flamarens and he sold it to the count of Coigny in 1762 until 1765.
This regiment became Artois dragoons in 1774 and took the 2nd rank of dragoons in 1791.

Biographies and arms

Anne François of Harcourt, marquis of Beuvron. Born on 4 October 1727, cornet in his brother's regiment on 2 January 1744, ensign of Gendarmes de Flandre with rank of colonel lieutenant of cavalry on 14 December 1744. First cornet in the Chevaux légers d'Orléans on 1st December 1745 and sub-lieutenant of this company with rank of mestre de camp of cavalry on 1st January 1748. Colonel of his own dragoon regiment by commission on 9 March 1748. Promoted general lieutenant of the government of Poitou by provision on 8 April 1751 and brigadier by patent on 22 July 1758. He acquired the Commissaire General cavalry regiment on 16 April 1759 , he was elevated to the rank of marshal of camp by patent on 20 February 1761.

The arms of the House of Harcourt were:

gules, two gold fesses (de gueules à deux fasces d'or)


Emmanuel François of Grossoles, count of Flammarens, count of Bouligneux, Baron of Buzet, Thouars and other places, son of Marie Clement Joseph and Marguerite of Arsens of Bruet. Born on 15 June 1734, colonel of his own dragoon regiment on 4 May 1758 and in 1762 colonel of La Reine dragoons. Promoted brigadier of King's armies, Grand Louvetier of France, office he obtained in survival of his uncle in 1753.

The arms of the House of Grossoles were:

gold shield, a gules lion issuant from a silver
river; azure chief charged with three gold stars.
(d'or au lion de gueules, issant d'une rivière
d'argent; au chef d'azur chargé de trois
étoiles d'or

Service during the seven years war

The regiment was at Lille in 1757, it joined the army of Germany at Stockheim where it formed brigade with Du Roi dragoons. Distingushed at Hastembeck, Munden, Hanover, Closterseven, Zell and Crefeld in 1758 where it heavy suffered.
In 1759 it returned to France on Norman coast until 1761 where it returned in Germany. Distinguished at Johannisberg in 1762.

Distinctive of uniforms and saddle cloth

1750 ordonnance: red coat, cuffs, lining and waistcoat red. Red housing and holster-caps edged with a yellow and black wool braid. Epaulet and cord of sabre with similarly colours. Red fatigue cap and turn-up, laced as housing

1757 ordonnance 1757 (E.M. 1759-1760): red coat, lining and waistcoat. White buttons. Black cuffs, waistcoat with black lapels.

Housing colours


Drummers and oboe

Drummers wore the Harcourt House livery: red ground colour, laced with a double braid made of yellow and crimson red tiles alternateed.

The livery of the Flammarens House:unknown

Flags colours

Flags, obverse crimson silk with gold sun in splendor with the Royal motto on a scroll with red background, blue lining and the silver words "NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR" , reverse yellow damask embroidered with cloud, lightnings and thunderbolt burning a castle and surmonted by a scroll with the words " FULGERE CITIUS ". Gold and silver fringed. These flags were stemmed from the Harcourt family and kept by their successors the knight of Flammarens and the count of Coigny.

from Anna Beck "Les trophées conquis par les Hollandais 1713"



Jean-Louis Vial