Origin and history:

This regiment was raised in march 1676. On different occasions it belonged to the powerful House of Bidal of Asfeld, elsewhere it was a marquis of Asfeld that sold his regiment on 1st February 1749 to Amable Gaspard, viscount of Thianges then it was Louis Jacques, knight of Chapt Rastignac that obtained this office on 20 February 1761.
In 1787 this dragoon regiment became chasseurs de Hainaut.

Biographies and arms:

Amable Gaspard, viscount of Thianges. "gentilhomme à drapeau" flag gentleman in the Gardes Françaises regiment on 10 January 1740, second ensign on 16 September 1741, first ensign on10 July 1743, grenadier ensign on 23 February 1744, sub-lieutenant on 18 March 1744. Later he became colonel of the Lorraine militia regiment and colonel of his own dragoon regiment on 1st February 1749, promoted to brigadier on 1st May 1758 and marshal of camp on 20 February 1761 and then resigned one's regiment.

The arms of the Damas of Anlezy House whose were stemmed the viscounts of Thianges were
gold shield whith a gule anchored cross. (d'or à la croix ancrée de gueules.)


Louis Jacques, knight of Chapt of Rastignac, son of Charles of Chapt of Rastignac, marquis of Laxion, and Marie Jacqueline Eléonore of Aydie of Ribérac. Captain in the regiment of Thianges then colonel of this regiment since February 1761 until November 1764 when he resigned one's regiment.


Armoiries of Chapt of Rastignac House were :
azure shield with a silver lion, gules langued and crowned.(d'azur au lion d'argent, lampassé et couronné d'or).


Service during the seven years war:

The regiment remained in France from 1756 to 1759 along the Bretagne coast. On 28 March 1759 4 squadrons of Thianges regiment were at Louvain coming from Flanders.
It joined the army of Germany where participated to the siege of Munster in 1759. During the campaign of 1760 fought at Corbach, Warbourg, on 22 August distinguished with Royal dragoons and Fischer chasseurs at the combats of Zieremberg and Stamberg.

Distinctive of uniforms and saddle cloth:


1750 ordonnance: red coat, cuffs, lining and waistcoat red. Red housing and holster-caps edged with a black and withe checked wool braid. Mixed black and withe epaulet and sabre-strap. Red fatigue cap and turn-up laced as the housing.
1757 ordonnance (E.M. 1759-1760): red coat, lining and waistcoat. Yellow cuffs, waistcoat with yellow lapels.



Housing colours


Drummers and oboe:

Drummers wore Thianges livery from February 1749 to February 1761 and then that of Chapt of Rastignac until 1764, both unknown.

Flags colours:


Under commandment of the viscount of Thianges and the knight of Chapt the regiment carried red silk flags, the obverse with gold sun in splendor with the Royal motto on a scroll with red background, blue lining and the silver words "NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR" , the reverse had an unknown design, gold fringed.